Man, 24, had drunken row with his partner, locked her out then took his own life

A young man had a drunken argument with his partner before locking her out and taking his own life, an inquest heard.

Zac Trimby rowed with his girlfriend while he was drunk on the evening of August 7 before locking himself into his house in Kirkcaldy.

Unable to get back in, the 24-year-old’s girlfriend spent the night away from home before returning the next day to find him dead.

Today Mr Trimby’s mum Kelly Burgess was told that there was no evidence that he had been attacked before he hanged himself, as she had thought.

A coroner heard that when Ms Burgess travelled to Scotland from Reading, Berks., to identify her son’s body, she formed the opinion marks on his body indicated he might have been attacked.

Mr Trimby was found hanged in the property.

However, his mum revealed in a statement that she had become concerned her son had been assaulted prior to his death after pictures of his body appeared to show signs of an attack.

Ms Burgess’ statement was read to the hearing at Reading Coroner’s Court.

It said: “It is with sadness and anger that I write this statement about the death of my baby boy on March 8, 2020.

“He was a lovely young man and had a lot of family and friends, both in Reading and in Scotland. He was loved by so many people and all of them said the same thing, that this was totally out of character.

“He had so much to live for and was enjoying life so much.”

Ms Burgess told the court her concerns about her son’s death arose when she travelled to Scotland to identify him.

When identifying him she believed injuries to his face were consistent with him having been assaulted.

However, Assistant Berkshire Coroner Ian Wade QC revealed authorities in Scotland had concluded no attack had taken place.

A toxicology examination carried out by Peter Maskell revealed Mr Trimby had a blood alcohol level of 176 milligrams per 100 ml of blood, more than double the drink-drive limit.

Further investigations revealed the alcohol levels in Mr Trimby’s urine was higher than in his blood revealing, he had been intoxicated for some time before his death.

A post-mortem examination concluded there was no evidence of an assault on Mr Trimby and that he had died from suspension by ligature.

Concluding the inquest Mr Wade said: “The medical causes of death answer the question of how Mr Trimby died. I understand and recognise that it is difficult to accept and acknowledge the circumstances.

“He had an argument that night and he had a lot to drink. I suspect that drinking that amount made his reaction foolish. He would have found it less easy to be restrained and reflective and to hold himself back.

“The fact that when his partner came back to the flat that she could not get in is suggestive. This indicates that he was saying something to his partner, that he was angry and in distress.”

Mr Wade also cleared police in Scotland of any wrongdoing in their investigation and concluded the abnormal injuries on Mr Trimby’s face were due to being left in an unnatural position for a long period of time.

“I am satisfied that no-one else was involved in his death and that Mr Trimby took the act which led to his death and intended by doing it to end his life.

“It was an astonishing decision given that he had so much to live for but faced with that reality, he did what he did.”

After Mr Wade recorded a verdict of suicide, he told Ms Burgess, who was present at the inquest: “There is nothing more I can do except to express my condolences.

“I cannot think of anything worse than to outlive your child and you have done that. I know that you will always find this hard to be reconciled to and there is no reason why you should be compelled to come to any view other than the one that your heart tells you.

“But as far as the record shows, Mr Trimby took his own life.”